Applicants should apply at the consular section of the
American Embassy any working day, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:30 and
Documents required are
- Valid Passport
- One Passport size photograph ( as per specifications)
- A Non-immigrant Visa Application (Form DS-160) is to be filled online and
printed copy of the form has to be submitted.
- Form I-20 executed by the authorizing official of
institution concerned, signed by the applicant.
- Evidence of financial ability to cover the costs of the
education and maintenance involved
- Receipt of the Visa fee, which has been deposited in advance in
specified branches of HDFC Bank
- Copy of visa appointment , to be obtained online.
When to apply :
applicant may apply for a student Visa not earlier than 120 days before the registration
date specified on the FORM I-20. If the registration date is already passed or the
applicant cannot reasonably expect to arrive at the school by the registration date, the
applicant should obtain an amended I-20 or a letter of extension from the issuing
institution stating by what date the applicant may arrive.
the Completed application forms along with the documents are submitted;
most cases, the visa will be issued within a few hours or days of the submission of the
application. In some instances, the process may take longer depending on the time of year,
consular caseload or other factors.
If your application is denied, you should ask the Consular Officer for a "written
denial decision." This will provide you with the official reason for your visa