Study Abroad Contact Us   Discussion Forum  

Home > Study in New Zealand > Foreign Student Issues

International Student Issues


If you are applying from overseas to study as a full fee student in New Zealand, you can consult the New Zealand government office in your country about available courses. Applications should be made directly to educational institutions.

Closing date for applications to polytechnics and colleges of education are available from prospectuses of the respective institutions. The application form must also be accompanied by all the documentation requested on the form, for example, certified copies of examination results.

If you are applying for admission to a tertiary institution as a full-fee student and you are already attending a New Zealand school, apply directly to the university, polytechnic, college of education or other institution of your choice.

Once you have been offered a place

All applicants must accept and offer by the date specified on the notification letter received from an institution. An offer of a place does not necessarily guarantee a student visa.

Working While You Study

If you are studying in New Zealand, you must not work unless allowed to do so by the New Zealand Immigration service. You can be granted permission to work for upto 15 hours a week.

If you have a student permit, you may be granted a work permit or a variation of your student permit to allow you to gain practical experience on completion of a three-year course, or over the summer vacation.

Your Dependants

Your dependants, who may include a spouse, de facto spouse, fianc�(e) and children, may accompany you to New Zealand or may join you later. They must apply for the type of visa required, that is, visitor, work or student. For school aged dependants you will need to pay full fees to enroll them in primary and secondary courses. 

Immigration Requirements

International students are required to obtain student visas and study permits in order to study in New Zealand.

For More Details, see our Student Visa section.

Medical Insurance

It is compulsory for students to take out full medical insurance cover. An average medical insurance cover for a single student would cost approximately NZ$500-600 per year. The Research & International Office holds information on New Zealand medical insurance companies which can be forwarded on request.

International Students� Representative

Students elect an International Students� Representative each year. His/her role is to act as a link between international students, the University  and University Students� Association.

Need more information?
Useful links

| About Us | Partner Us | Contact Us | Newsletter | Site Map | Links |


Special Channels Study Destinations Admission Services Test Information Online Education Application Issues

MBA Program

Engineering Program

Undergraduate Education

Online Education

Study in U.S.A.

Study in U.K.

Study in Canada

Study in Australia

Study in New Zealand

U.S.A. Admissions

U.K. Admissions

Canada Admissions

Australia Admissions




GRE Test

GRE Prep

SAT Test

SAT Prep



Online MBA Programs

Online Masters Degree

Online Bachelors Degree

Other Online Courses

Essays / SOP

Recommendation Letter



Financial Aid & Scholarships

College Search

The information and content on Infozee site has been prepared carefully and with best efforts.
However, Infozee will not be held liable or responsible for any loss, damage or other
inconvenience caused as a result of any inaccuracy or error within the pages of this website.

All trademarks are the property of the respective trademark holders.
None of the trademark holders are affiliated with this web site.

Best viewed at 800x600 resolution
& TM* of Infozee. All rights reserved.